+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where now for Wales?

Re: Where now for Wales?

Gotta do a “Tosh”, kids, kids and more kids

Blood ‘um now, whilst Bale and Ramsey are still about to encourage and bring them through the system

International

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post

Blood ‘um now, whilst Bale and Ramsey are still about to encourage and bring them through the system
    Agreed we need to start all over again!

Apart from Colwill, do we have any other players coming through with the potential to become the next Bale or Ramsey, or even elite footballers ?

It seemed at one time, after the 2016 euros you were hearing about a new name coming through every other month. I know Johnson is a reasonably new name in the squad and a lot of the younger players like Wilson, James, Ampadu have come through since 2016 but there doesn't actually seem to be any "special" talents coming through atm from the U-18 or U-21 squad does there ?

I'm probably a bit out of the loop in that regard but nobody comes to mind apart from Colwill.

....What's Cooper's story, he sounds like he has a Cardiff accent, but was born in Derby.....assuming he went to school and stuff in cardiff whilst his dad ws playing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Bloody hell, it does, doesn't it?! I can hear it in my head. Good spot! Was entirely unintentional of course as I had a more Gavin and Stacey script in my head but now it's just creepy! Thanks Jordi, I won't ever be able to get that image out of my head now!
    I didn't recognise the Gavin & Stacey reference as I've never watched it but picked up on Savile immediately.

Says more about me doesn't it?

'Now then...'

........how are these lads coming on ...... for example...

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/fo...wales-21932481

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post

According to Wikipedia and other sources, Owen Beck (20) is on loan at Bolton and made his debut earlier this month. Ryan Ashley (21) is on loan at Accrington Stanley and playing regularly. Dan Davies (18) is with Wrexham and signed a pro contract in January. Morgan Boyes (21) signed for Livingston in January and has made the bench in their last 2 SPL matches. Rhys Hughes (21) signed for Tranmere in the summer after being released by Everton. Has made 9 appearances from the bench this season.

Bolton, Accrington Stanley, Wrexham, Livingston and Tranmere. At this moment in time they won't be giving anybody any Welsh siwgr anytime soon !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Yeah it's a bit of a joke when concacaf are getting 6 spots and asia 8, but it's still doing to be a bit easier.
    The expansion for the next world cup is quite interesting. The extra places are roughly (it's not quite this simple due to intercontinental playoff spots)

Africa 4
    Asia 4
    Europe 3
    North & Central America 3
    South America 2
    Oceania 1

The smallest % increase is for Europe.
    The extra place for Oceania means that New Zealand (currently ranked 105 in the world) are almost guaranteed qualification as the next best ranked team in Oceania is the Solomon Islands at 136 and the other 9 nations ranked 159 to 197. Don't know why Australia are part of Asia and not Oceania.

UEFA haven't said how qualifying will work yet. Maybe 10 group winners again with 6 playoff winners, or 10 group winners plus 3 best placed runners up and 3 playoff winners? Whatever they choose, it makes it marginally easier for us to qualify next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    The expansion for the next world cup is quite interesting. The extra places are roughly (it's not quite this simple due to intercontinental playoff spots)

Africa 4
    Asia 4
    Europe 3
    North & Central America 3
    South America 2
    Oceania 1

The smallest % increase is for Europe.
    The extra place for Oceania means that New Zealand (currently ranked 105 in the world) are almost guaranteed qualification as the next best ranked team in Oceania is the Solomon Islands at 136 and the other 9 nations ranked 159 to 197. Don't know why Australia are part of Asia and not Oceania.

UEFA haven't said how qualifying will work yet. Maybe 10 group winners again with 6 playoff winners, or 10 group winners plus 3 best placed runners up and 3 playoff winners? Whatever they choose, it makes it marginally easier for us to qualify next time.
    I think south america have been stitched up a bit - they have won just under half of all the world cups (with UEFA winning the rest), and will have as many qualification spots as Concacaf who have a couple of quarter finals ever.

If Paige is staying...rehire Osian Roberts.

Cap good eligible youngsters, play them regularly and have patience with them.

If the old guard stay on...use them as impact subs.

Come up with a campaign to stop kids playing rugby at school (almost a reverse of when I was growing up).

Never play Connor Roberts again.

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Come up with a campaign to stop kids playing rugby at school
    I think the WRU are already on that one 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    I think south america have been stitched up a bit - they have won just under half of all the world cups (with UEFA winning the rest), and will have as many qualification spots as Concacaf who have a couple of quarter finals ever.
    Does seem unfair

A few new ones that I hadn't heard of, and some people laughed when I said we are going to have a core squad of 16 or more Premier League players to choose from. What we really need is another top class striker who can play with Johnson up top. We have loads of wide players, midfielders and defenders coming through though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    According to Wikipedia and other sources, Owen Beck (20) is on loan at Bolton and made his debut earlier this month. Ryan Ashley (21) is on loan at Accrington Stanley and playing regularly. Dan Davies (18) is with Wrexham and signed a pro contract in January. Morgan Boyes (21) signed for Livingston in January and has made the bench in their last 2 SPL matches. Rhys Hughes (21) signed for Tranmere in the summer after being released by Everton. Has made 9 appearances from the bench this season.

Bolton, Accrington Stanley, Wrexham, Livingston and Tranmere. At this moment in time they won't be giving anybody any Welsh siwgr anytime soon !!
    Ye. 21 is not exactly young nowadays either.......at least if you are a really promising talent. Maybe they'll be late blooming, solid professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    A few new ones there that I hadn't heard of, and some people laughed when I said we are going to have a core squad of 16 or more Premier League players to choose from.
    I don’t wanna piss on your chips, but prattling on about these players being in the Premier League, is utter nonsense.

Yes, they are registered with Premier League clubs, but they are nowhere near making appearances for them. They are all loaned out to lower league clubs.

By your evaluation, Ojo was a Premier League player utter nonsense

Apart from Colwill, do we have any other players coming through with the potential to become the next Bale or Ramsey, or even elite footballers ?

It seemed at one time, after the 2016 euros you were hearing about a new name coming through every other month. I know Johnson is a reasonably new name in the squad and a lot of the younger players like Wilson, James, Ampadu have come through since 2016 but there doesn't actually seem to be any "special" talents coming through atm from the U-18 or U-21 squad does there ?

I'm probably a bit out of the loop in that regard but nobody comes to mind apart from Colwill.

....What's Cooper's story, he sounds like he has a Cardiff accent, but was born in Derby.....assuming he went to school and stuff in cardiff whilst his dad ws playing here.
    If Colwill has half the career either of these two had I will eat my own hands.

Wales will have to blood the youth, which in fairness Giggs started doing well. I think the next step for Wales is parting with Page and trying to figure out what's next.

I don’t wanna piss on your chips, but prattling on about these players being in the Premier League, is utter nonsense.

Yes, they are registered with Premier League clubs, but they are nowhere near making appearances for them. They are all loaned out to lower league clubs.

Premier League clubs tend to not play inexperienced younger players, preferring the establish pro's instead. That's why they break through at an older age than they used to.

Only Owen Beck and Ryan Ashley are on loan from EPL clubs, so just 2 of the 5 mentioned in the article. Both of them are on loan to League 1 clubs. The others are at a non-league club, SPL club and a League 2 club. Quite how this translates to the Welsh squad being full of EPL players in the near future is beyond me!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Bosch View Post
    Only Owen Beck and Ryan Ashley are on loan from EPL clubs, so just 2 of the 5 mentioned in the article. Both of them are on loan to League 1 clubs. The others are at a non-league club, SPL club and a League 2 club. Quite how this translates to the Welsh squad being full of EPL players in the near future is beyond me!
    We've already got 12 so only need a few more

...Another thing I sometimes wonder about is the motivation of the English born players.

I mean, I reckon that at least a proportion of them probably weigh up the likelihood of getting into the England squad and opt for Wales because they don't have the confidence in their abilities in terms of England but maybe they do when it comes to Wales.

The way things are looking , the next generation of Wales first teamers will be born outside the country...mostly in England.

You can talk about Rugby's effect on the Welsh national team but maybe the influx of players born outside the country also effects Wales-born players chances.

I sound like a right anglophobe but I do not underestimate the passion some have for playing for Wales. I think Dan James would be a Welsh player regardless of his chances with England, for example. Probably the same for a few others.

There are probably a few young, impressionable Ben Turners in there too there.......who I guess might develop an allegiance as their are growing up with the different Wales squads.

...Another thing I sometimes wonder about is the motivation of the English born players.

I mean, I reckon that at least a proportion of them probably weigh up the likelihood of getting into the England squad and opt for Wales because they don't have the confidence in their abilities in terms of England but maybe they do when it comes to Wales.

The way things are looking , the next generation of Wales first teamers will be born outside the country...mostly in England.

You can talk about Rugby's effect on the Welsh national team but maybe the influx of players born outside the country also effects Wales-born players chances.

I sound like a right anglophobe but I do not underestimate the passion some have for playing for Wales. I think Dan James would be a Welsh player regardless of his chances with England, for example. Probably the same for a few others.

There are probably a few young, impressionable Ben Turners in there too there.......who I guess might develop an allegiance as their are growing up with the different Wales squads.
    A lot of English born players are the children of economic migrants, and it doesn't make them any less Welsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé View Post
    I didn't recognise the Gavin & Stacey reference as I've never watched it but picked up on Savile immediately.

Says more about me doesn't it?

'Now then...'
    I was too polite to point that out! 😜

Watching Vinny Jones in a Welsh shirt trying to cope with Stoichkov was one of the funniest and most bizarre things I’ve seen on a football pitch!

Cardiff airport.

Guess it’s between us and Turkey for the 2nd spot in the group for Euro 24…..assuming Croatia still have to many good players to flop?

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Watching Vinny Jones in a Welsh shirt trying to cope with Stoichkov was one of the funniest and most bizarre things I’ve seen on a football pitch!
    This looks totally random but it was meant as a reply to Wales-Bales
    A lot of English born players are the children of economic migrants, and it doesn't make them any less Welsh.