+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mortgages and Interest Rate Rises

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Mortgages and Interest Rate Rises

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Interest rates historically have always hovered around 5% havent they? Seem to remember much higher in the mid 80’s like 15%?
    Best feeling ever to get mortgage free……
    I’ve managed to pay off two mortgages, it’s hard though and takes commitment but worth it.

For those struggling, perhaps they could consider a cheaper area or location ?

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    I’ve managed to pay off two mortgages, it’s hard though and takes commitment but worth it.

Or pull up their boot straps! Why aren't working family's rich, lazy ****ers!

Quote Originally Posted by OurManFlint II View Post
    Or pull up their boot straps! Why aren't working family's rich, lazy ****ers!
    Huh, it was just a suggestion, and I know a few who have done it , or downsized and it’s the best thing they have done.

Each to their own though of course , and I’d be very careful to judge somebody’s background on a messageboard post if that’s what you’re implying..

I guess it’s much harder these days. I bought a house in Heath for 52k in 1998, think I was earning about 23/25k then, one of the lowest in the IT office I worked in. Had a 10 yr mortgage but paid it off a bit earlier….house twice salary.

International

If you doubled the payments of a 25 year mortgage in the 90's you were able to repay it in 7 years, mad but even then not many people could afford to double the mortgage payments.

In the last year alone, house prices have risen by 14% while earnings have FALLEN by 1%.

It is incredibly hard to get onto the housing ladder. The average house price in the UK is 294k. The average salary is around £26k. It has got insane but it's OK, because young people just need to work harder

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    In the last year alone, house prices have risen by 14% while earnings have FALLEN by 1%.

It is incredibly hard to get onto the housing ladder. The average house price in the UK is 294k. The average salary is around £26k. It has got insane but it's OK, because young people just need to work harder
    the average salary is more than £26k.

But yes, your point is valid. There is a disconnect between average house prices and average earnings.