Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Huggill was a right handful when he was at Preston and, although it turned out that he didn’t quite make it in the Premier League, he had a multi million pound move to West Ham and was much sought after by Championship clubs when he was loaned out. However, when he was Etete’s age he was playing for Gateshead after being rejected by Port Vale - to write Etete off on the basis of him being stuck up front by himself as a 21/22 year old seems a bit premature to me.

Hugill was twenty nine when he was here and scored four times in nineteen appearances in all competitions, this season he’s scored three in thirty two matches, albeit for a bottom of the table team. Etete has scored five times in all competitions this season in twenty six games - not great, but not too different a scoring rate to what Hugill achieved here in 2022.
Bob, It's a bit general to say that etete isn't doing what he should do because of the way we play, it's vague, it sort of exonerates him from responsibility. Of course, the players around him are important, and the tactics employed. A goalkeeper can shift 5 goals and still have a good game, but we can say why the keeper has had a good game, we can separate the things that the keeper has no influence over due to poor play and tactics, but still acknowledge his ability and potential by the good things he does. So, a question for you. What does Etete do well? He rarely scores, so what else are you seeing that gives you some hope-Touch, intelligence, movement, ability to bring other players into a game? or are you just sticking up for him based on our tactics and style of play, without any real evidence of his natural ability that could one day pay off.

It's all well and good to make comparisons with other players, but we need to see something as well in order for us as supporters to think that he has got a chance at this level. He works very hard and he's brave, he doedn't hide and he possesses a great attitude. After that i can't really see anything ability wise that stands out and make me think that he's got something for us to hold on to until he gets abit more experienced and there's a tactical change. Over to you