+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Confirmed - Rooney is the new Plymouth boss

Confirmed - Rooney is the new Plymouth boss

Wayne Rooney could be about to enter the world of management less than six months after being sacked by Birmingham.
    It is reported that the 38-year-old, who only last 15 matches in the Midlands after his departure from DC United over the winter, has been approached for an interview by Plymouth.
    The Telegraph state that he is among the candidates to take over Argyle following their narrow escape from relegation, and is in line after Paul Heckingbottom to be formally spoken too

Re: As long as it keeps him away from us ! Plymouth looking towards Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Wayne Rooney could be about to enter the world of management less than six months after being sacked by Birmingham.
    It is reported that the 38-year-old, who only last 15 matches in the Midlands after his departure from DC United over the winter, has been approached for an interview by Plymouth.
    The Telegraph state that he is among the candidates to take over Argyle following their narrow escape from relegation, and is in line after Paul Heckingbottom to be formally spoken too
    Staggering if true. How many chances can he get before people realise that he's shit? I'm waiting for that other fraud (Frank Lampard) to get another job before he slips into coaching Chelsea u14s while telling us that it's a role he's always been interested in doing. **** me, if ever there was evidence that plenty of people in the world of football are stupid.

Favourites for league 1 then

Rooney expected to be confirmed as Plymouth boss

Are they nuts, are those in charge of the club crazy? Expect Exeter to be to the biggest club in Devon in a season or two as Plymouth end up in the National League South.

Wayne Rooney is expected to be confirmed as the head coach of Championship side Plymouth Argyle on Saturday after holding talks about the vacancy.

Rooney, 38, is keen to re-establish his reputation after a disastrous spell at Birmingham last season, when he lost nine games out of 15.

Argyle are looking for a new boss after the dismissal of Ian Foster towards the end of last season.

Director of football Neil Dewsnip and coach Kevin Nancekivell took over for the remainder of the campaign and guided Plymouth to safety, ironically at Birmingham’s expense.

Dewsnip knows Rooney from his time as a coach at Everton’s academy.

Rooney made 763 appearances as a player during spells with Everton, Manchester United, MLS club DC United and Derby.

He moved into a player-coach role with the Rams in November 2020 and announced his retirement two months later, after being named permanent manager.

The former England striker oversaw 85 games at Derby before moving back to America to become manager of former club DC United.

Rooney was then appointed Birmingham manager in October 2023, but he was sacked less than three months later.

Yesterday’s news

We couldn't afford his food bills whereas Ginsters sponsor Argyle.

Less than an hour's drive to Torquay for him..

Re: Phew!!

Brace for relegation

Re: Rooney expected to be confirmed as Plymouth boss

Championship side Plymouth Argyle have appointed former England captain Wayne Rooney as their new head coach.

The 38-year-old succeeds Ian Foster, who was sacked on 1 April after a poor run of results.

It is Rooney's first role since he was sacked by Birmingham City on 2 January after a disappointing reign of less than three months in which he lost nine of 15 games.

Blues, who were in the Championship play-off places when Rooney took over, were relegated to League One earlier this month.

The Pilgrims job is a fourth head coach role for Rooney - who was England's top scorer with 53 goals until his mark was beaten by Harry Kane in March 2023.

He was Derby County boss during a period of financial difficulties.

Rooney guided the Rams to Championship survival in May 2021 in his first season in charge, but left a year later following the club's relegation after Derby had been docked a total of 21 points for their financial problems.

He spent 15 months as boss of DC United in the United States, but left last October to take on the Birmingham job, having failed to guide the Washington-based side to the Major League Soccer (MLS) play-offs.

First-team coaches Kevin Nancekivell and Simon Ireland, and goalkeeping coach Darryl Flahavan will form part of Rooney’s backroom staff, with further additions to be made in due course.

Re: Rooney expected to be confirmed as Plymouth boss

Plymouth are already joint-favourites with Oxford for relegation. I suppose it’s a shot to nothing for Rooney.

Re: Confirmed - Rooney is the new Plymouth boss

I hope they do well that area and its fans is starved of successfull football.

Rooney on the The Hoe is a splendid irony .

I never used to like him, but I admire his love of football. He can't be doing it for the money (unless his wife spent all the cash!)

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Rooney on the The Hoe is a splendid irony .

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Staggering if true. How many chances can he get before people realise that he's shit? I'm waiting for that other fraud (Frank Lampard) to get another job before he slips into coaching Chelsea u14s while telling us that it's a role he's always been interested in doing. **** me, if ever there was evidence that plenty of people in the world of football are stupid.

International

Plymouth fans must be more furious than Moodyblubird!

Just to play devil's advocate - he did alright at Derby in difficult circumstances, I can't really comment about DC United and the Birmingham shambles wasn't all of his own making. He went into a situation which wasn't bad so it wasn't your usual sacking where a shake-up is necessary. It didn't work but sometimes faces and ideas don't fit. It happens often enough.

He'll have a pre-season to implement what he wants and maybe they'll do alright, or at least better than the latest premier league u19 coach would've done. Who knows? At least he's not expecting the keys to Old Trafford like Lampard would.

I hope he fails though cos I have an Argyle supporting friend who gets quite smug when they beat us.