+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Homelessness

Homelessness

Since 2010 the UK has been rapidly increasing the number of homeless people.
    Now by far the worst in the developed world.

https://www.ft.com/content/24117a03-...d-6a5292f9e92ehomeless.jpg

Re: Homelessness

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Since 2010 the UK has been rapidly increasing the number of homeless people.
    Now by far the worst in the developed world.

https://www.ft.com/content/24117a03-...d-6a5292f9e92ehomeless.jpg
    That is quite sobering when put into the context of America and some of the pictures we see from there. Almost makes me think we record it differently to them. I guess the temporary accomodation part is influenced by the inability to process asylum claims quickly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    That is quite sobering when put into the context of America and some of the pictures we see from there. Almost makes me think we record it differently to them. I guess the temporary accomodation part is influenced by the inability to process asylum claims quickly as well.
    USA has by far the highest proportion of people "on the streets" .
    if you include temporary accommodation we are now by far the worst. the rise since 2010 is very concerning

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    the asylum backlog rose from about 28k to 100k ISH after 2018

removing those from the figures would reduce it by between 3 and 10 ISH out of 10000 I think, which would still have us well clear of everyone else (at around 40/10k)
    also many of those countries have more asylum claims than we do

I abhor homelessness and have such enormous sympathy for people in those circumstances. Its something that shames us all.

I do wonder whether the definitions of temporary accommodation are applied across all countries though?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    I abhor homelessness and have such enormous sympathy for people in those circumstances. Its something that shames us all.

I do wonder whether the definitions of temporary accommodation are applied across all countries though?
    The article goes into more details.
    I think if it was down to different definitions that wouldn't explain the trajectory after 2010
    I think the main issue is we haven't built enough houses, or provide enough housing benefits

But you vote for a party that is at the root cause of so much of it

Shelter have condemned tory housing policy since 1983

If you abhor homelessness don't vote conservative

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    The article goes into more details.
    I think if it was down to different definitions that wouldn't explain the trajectory after 2010
    I think the main issue is we haven't built enough houses, or provide enough housing benefits
    Agree but we will never build enough homes.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post

And this is the thing. I don't think you care at all. You just weaponise anything for a party political point that actually solves nothing

And this is the thing. I don't think you care at all. You just weaponise anything for a party political point that actually solves nothing
    I spent 8 years working with the homeless

I didn't do it for a laugh or because I didn't care

If you care then go and volunteer for Cardiff help the homeless

It's very much a political issue and your tears are crocodile ones

Agree but we will never build enough homes.
    The homes sold as council houses , never replaced ?

The reduction in housing benefit funding ?

Brought in by your lot

Please don't jump the sea with this

A conservative voter commenting on homelessness?

I would love to see you telling people who work in housing how it upsets you whilst voting conservative 😂

Get with it.

Labour have lied about things being this Govts fault. Everything is out of their control and under the circumstances done a brilliant job. Liz Truss went to Beijing to talk about opening new Pork Markets FFS.

100% Homelessness is again the fault of everyone , Ukraine , Covid blah blah blah. Not Tories or Tory voters.

In fact everyone with a home should be grateful to them for having a roof over their head.

Good for you, and I mean that.

But if that's the case, you will know that the problem isn't caused by the Conservatives nor solved by a change of government. And this is exactly the kind of rhetoric / outright lie that is gonna catch people out within a year or two and they will quite possibly look to more radical solutions.

There's loads this govt could have done and haven't..that's true..but each policy intervention would come with another cost, and I don't see any opposition party promising anything different. I wish them luck, I really do. But these are the same lot who talk or reforming the planning system and then object to houses near them and frequently own more than one home themselves.

Nothing will change.

Having also worked in that field, there is always going to be some homeless, even now many would rather sleep on the streets than in the huggard or various other places. We dont do enough to help those most in need, some have had such a traumatic upbringing maybe they are beyond hope? Wallich Clifford used to run a great little project I worked on with another decorator, we’d take on 3 or 4 homeless people and train them up doing up primary schools in the holidays or old churches, they got paid a token amount each day but it gave them something they badly needed, self worth and belief….many went on to get a proper job and do ok. Often, just giving them a bedsit sitting around doing nothing allday isn’t enough as mad as that may sound.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    Having also worked in that field, there is always going to be some homeless, even now many would rather sleep on the streets than in the huggard or various other places. We dont do enough to help those most in need, some have had such a traumatic upbringing maybe they are beyond hope? Wallich Clifford used to run a great little project I worked on with another decorator, we’d take on 3 or 4 homeless people and train them up doing up primary schools in the holidays or old churches, they got paid a token amount each day but it gave them something they badly needed, self worth and belief….many went on to get a proper job and do ok. Often, just giving them a bedsit sitting around doing nothing allday isn’t enough as mad as that may sound.
    I worked for wallich in the hostel off Newport Road

I worked for wallich in the hostel off Newport Road
    On Broadway?

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    On Broadway?
    Yes

This article talks of 670,000 homeless and 50,000 living on the streets in Germany, and quotes a homelessness organisation.

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-gover...ess/a-67777139

This article here (by shelter) talks of 309,000 homeless in England, with 3,000 on the streets.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/media..._england_today

Now Germany's population is bigger than Englands, but not ten times bigger.

I don't trust these articles either btw, but they contradict the FT report, and it goes to show how what statistics they select is critical.

This article talks of 670,000 homeless and 50,000 living on the streets in Germany, and quotes a homelessness organisation.

https://www.dw.com/en/germanys-gover...ess/a-67777139

This article here (by shelter) talks of 309,000 homeless in England, with 3,000 on the streets.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/media..._england_today

Now Germany's population is bigger than Englands, but not ten times bigger.

I don't trust these articles either btw, but they contradict the FT report, and it goes to show how what statistics they select is critical.
    On a local level (in and around Cardiff) I've never understood that when Cardiff (appx 10 years ago) became more of a magnet for many homeless people, that the growing number of empty city centre buildings and units could not be adapted together with skeleton staff to administer them? Rather than hear of a young lady (just one example) freezing to death in a small tent in the castle area during the winter

This situation seems crazy when secure and frost free places were lying empty within a few hundred meters?