+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paula Vennell Post Office Enquiry

Re: Paula Vennell Post Office Enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    She's a priest too ?

Good god
    Was in the running to become the third most powerful/influential person in the Church of England:

In January 2024, BBC News reported that Vennells had been shortlisted to become Bishop of London back in 2017, with two sources stating that the Archbishop of Canterbury himself had pushed her application and was regarded as a supporter of hers.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...e-now-32860486

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Bet yours are bigger than hers ?
    That's not in question

This guy is going for the jugular.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    This guy is going for the jugular.
    And to be fair the Welsh chair is giving her a chance and trying to ensure it's a due process

I think she's full of it but she's quick on her feet

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, what does your typical CEO do exactly to merit these vast sums so many of them earn?
    I don't think there is such a thing as a typical CEO job and can only speak from personal experience. In one of my jobs I worked for an organisation with about 3000 employees. Then the person at the top of the pyramid wouldn't have a clue what I was doing or who I was. What that person did is a mystery to me. When I worked for a smaller company with around 50 employees the CEO knew of everything. In the case of the Post Office there were around 60000 employees and I would not therefore have expected a CEO to get involved with the nitty gritty. That was the point I was making to reinforce my conclusion that Vennells was doubly culpable even though I think my minority opinion that she is putting up a reasonable defence of her untenable situation remains.

Perhaps you have a different experience although I fully expect you to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I don't think there is such a thing as a typical CEO job and can only speak from personal experience. In one of my jobs I worked for an organisation with about 3000 employees. Then the person at the top of the pyramid wouldn't have a clue what I was doing or who I was. What that person did is a mystery to me. When I worked for a smaller company with around 50 employees the CEO knew of everything. In the case of the Post Office there were around 60000 employees and I would not therefore have expected a CEO to get involved with the nitty gritty. That was the point I was making to reinforce my conclusion that Vennells was doubly culpable even though I think my minority opinion that she is putting up a reasonable defence of her untenable situation remains.

Perhaps you have a different experience although I fully expect you to disagree.
    She's quick on her feet

Is this enquiry able to lead to prosecutions ?

She's seems completely incompetent but is doing a good job of defending herself

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    So, what does your typical CEO do exactly to merit these vast sums so many of them earn?
    There's always going to be a better pay renumeration in the private sector

It's worrying when ceo of Caerphilly Council is alleged to be on 200k

Mind , the mental health charity also pay stonking amounts to the executives

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Paula Vennells, Post Office chief executive 2010-2019

Ms Vennells earned £5.1m during her time at the helm of the Post Office, peaking at £718,300 in 2018. That year her base salary was £253,800 and she earned £390,800 in bonuses (plus pensions and other benefits).

7 Apr 2024

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-...her%20benefits).
    Let’s start a Go Fund me page. It’s only fair.

Don’t think the Horizon software problems, the prosecuting of sub-postmasters could be described as the “nitty gritty”. She was in all probability completely aware of what was going on..

The nitty gritty to which I was referring was to do with the fact she was arranging meetings, deciding who should attend and the fact she took ownership of some of the minute details and not the entire Horizon problem to which she has to be involved. Of course she should have been involved with decisions relating to the prosecutions but that is not the point I was making.

First Team

You are correct in stating the majority of CEOs of large businesses have little or no knowledge of the day-to-day running of a business and on that basis you'd expect Vennells to be unaware of a few random complaints from disgruntled postmasters.

The problem is during Vennells' tenure this wasn't a few, scattered incidents. It was systematic - they prosecuted over 900 postmasters and had myriad complaints and MPs etc chasing them. It was being widely reported at the time. Constituency MPs were contacting her office. In short, she should and IMHO actually did know something was severely wrong. It was already a major public issue during her tenure. She should have been involved.

She is as guilty as you can be. She knew absolutely everything that went on in this shameful scandal.
    Her answers and emotional breakdowns, are
    Pathetic and embarrassing to watch.
    If it was up to me, I’d strip her of every penny she has, and put it the compensation pot, and jail her for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by William Treseder View Post
    She is as guilty as you can be. She knew absolutely everything that went on in this shameful scandal.
    If it was up to me, I’d strip her of every penny she has, and put it the compensation pot, and jail her for a long time.
    Nonsense, she should be executed.

This with out a doubt.

I think after watching it today I agree

It was car crash stuff

100%

International

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lung View Post
    Nonsense, she should be executed.
    every day fora week!

The Barristers and Lawyers are very clever.
    Their questioning techniques are superb. On several occasions they'd ask her a seemingly open question, which she answers fairly confidently, but several questions later hit her with an email she sent or received, that proved she knew more than she earlier said she did.
    It was great tv.

She was absolutely slaughtered by hislop on have I got news for you

Quote Originally Posted by The Bloop View Post
    The Barristers and Lawyers are very clever.
    Their questioning techniques are superb. On several occasions they'd ask her a seemingly open question, which she answers fairly confidently, but several questions later hit her with an email she sent or received, that proved she knew more than she earlier said she did.
    It was great tv.
    Very clever people but even they looked tired and fed up when she came out with another I don't recall etc etc

We've all worked for people like Paula Vennells - they're everywhere. People who are over-promoted and lack both the morals and critical thinking skills to do the job they're paid for. That's why the public have so much empathy for those affected - because it could happen to us all

They, along with other people in the nhs should be up on corporate manslaughter charges. Their direct actions have led to the death of people.

Quote Originally Posted by TWGL1 View Post
    We've all worked for people like Paula Vennells - they're everywhere. People who are over-promoted and lack both the morals and critical thinking skills to do the job they're paid for. That's why the public have so much empathy for those affected - because it could happen to us all
    That's the Peter Principle - do a decent job, get promoted.
    Repeat until you can't do the job you're promoted into.

She was absolutely slaughtered by hislop on have I got news for you
    https://youtu.be/-9EnbLQzkJ8?si=qk4zIbL0zb5RkTxO

Very clever people but even they looked tired and fed up when she came out with another I don't recall etc etc
    If this ever gets to court - and it will be a outrage if it doesn't - surely this defence won't wash?