+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Tories lose both by elections.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Tories lose both by elections.

Quote Originally Posted by DryCleaning View Post
    just bear in mind that the last time the LibDems were king makers, they gave the Tories first crap at forming a government on the premise that the Tories had more seats and votes. For a change of government, Labour may have to have a majority
    I think the Lib Dems have learned the painful lesson that bed sharing with the Tories does them no good. I can't see them making the same mistake again in a hurry. They would find a centre left Labour party a much more natural fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorcus View Post
    I think the Lib Dems have learned the painful lesson that bed sharing with the Tories does them no good. I can't see them making the same mistake again in a hurry. They would find a centre left Labour party a much more natural fit.
    Labour were very much a centre left party in 2010 yet we know how that turned out. Power corrupts.

Labour were very much a centre left party in 2010 yet we know how that turned out. Power corrupts.
    Clegg chose against propping up a tired government that had been in power for more than a decade and chose a Cameron-led party flirting with them on a centre right agenda.

The idea that the Lib-Dems would play power brokers in favour of this tired populist government in the event of a hung parliament is laughable. The Tories either get a a majority in the next election, they have enough DUPpers to keep them in power or they are out!

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    Clegg chose against propping up a tired government that had been in power for more than a decade and chose a Cameron-led party flirting with them on a centre right agenda.
    And now Clegg is at Facebook pushing a specific agenda, which tells you everything you need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    And now Clegg is at Facebook pushing a specific agenda, which tells you everything you need to know.
    Bit vague. What is the specific agenda that tells me everything I need to know?

The idea that the Lib-Dems would play power brokers in favour of this tired populist government in the event of a hung parliament is laughable. The Tories either get a a majority in the next election, they have enough DUPpers to keep them in power or they are out!
    The Tories were the biggest party as well in 2010 - wouldn’t be surprised if the DUP lose seats in the next election.

This is a good point and you may well be right. In 2010 I was surprised as anyone as I always thought the LibDems were centre left so it struck me as being bizarre they'd choose a centre right party over another centre left. Their rationale at the time was that the Tories had more seats than Labour so the people wanted Tories more than Labour. I don't think that's what their supporters wanted though but who cares as long as you get to be in power

This is a good point and you may well be right. In 2010 I was surprised as anyone as I always thought the LibDems were centre left so it struck me as being bizarre they'd choose a centre right party over another centre left. Their rationale at the time was that the Tories had more seats than Labour so the people wanted Tories more than Labour. I don't think that's what their supporters wanted though but who cares as long as you get to be in power
    David Miliband, Clegg, Johnson & Starmer are all batting for the same team, so don't get confused by the party colours.

Quote Originally Posted by Wales-Bales View Post
    David Miliband, Clegg, Johnson & Starmer are all batting for the same team, so don't get confused by the party colours.
    This comes over as vague and smarmy in a thread where the majority of contributors are having a sensible debate. Perhaps you could explain your point in ways that other contributors could discuss on its merits or get off the pot.

This comes over as vague and smarmy in a thread where the majority of contributors are having a sensible debate. Perhaps you could explain your point in ways that other contributors could discuss on its merits or get off the pot.
    I like the way you always pretend not to know stuff.

TBF Gluey has made vague and smarmy his default mannerism not seen him give a straight answer in 5 years (4 counting his year long sulk )