+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Manchester Arena Inquiry: Security 'did not approach bomber over racism fears'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Manchester Arena Inquiry: Security 'did not approach bomber over racism fears'

I wonder what security is there for if it's not to question suspicious characters? The security officer might be young but that is no excuse for not questioning an individual who is sweating, fidgety and carrying a heavy rucksack. I don't think poor training, or inexperience is an excuse for not questioning any individual who is behaving suspiciously. Surely common sense should have at the very least led the 18 year old security officer to ask his supervisor for advice.

Re: Manchester Arena Inquiry: Security 'did not approach bomber over racism fears'

Quote Originally Posted by Vindec View Post
    I wonder what security is there for if it's not to question suspicious characters? The security officer might be young but that is no excuse for not questioning an individual who is sweating, fidgety and carrying a heavy rucksack. I don't think poor training, or inexperience is an excuse for not questioning any individual who is behaving suspiciously. Surely common sense should have at the very least led the 18 year old security officer to ask his supervisor for advice.
    If poor training is no excuse, then what's the point in training at all. Management can save money.

I still think there's only one person to blame, but I notice that the finger is being pointed at the bottom of the food chain. Responsibility also lies with the security firm if we must apportion blame elsewhere.

Within security guard 4 day training there is a section on CT and it relates to suspicious behaviour etc.

I was under the impression he was a steward not a guard and had done some e-learning the night before.

Within the other guards testimony I think they've alluded to not sitting the training and only paying and sitting the exams. The training company's should be the ones feeling guilty along with those who shorted the system.

Sorry I don't agree at all. I would never expect "security" at one of these events to be dealing with a potential terrorist plot. They're there to keep the exits clear, eject anyone being unruly and that sort of thing, not question anyone they find suspicious.

Most people would have acted in exactly the same way, especially at the age of 18, I don't blame that guy at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjk View Post
    Sorry I don't agree at all. I would never expect "security" at one of these events to be dealing with a potential terrorist plot. They're there to keep the exits clear, eject anyone being unruly and that sort of thing, not question anyone they find suspicious.
    Who's role is it then?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Who's role is it then?
    The police, MI5, not some 18 year old kid doing some temporary work.

Even if he had been suspicious to approach the guy, what could he have done anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Paget Flashman View Post
    Who's role is it then?
    Mi5, Mi6? Any other government intellignece agency?

Are poeple really expecting people on minimum wage and no training to identify terrorists? And then are they expected to tackle the terrorist themselves?

And what difference would it have really made? How do you stop a suicide bomber? Unless these sorts of incidents are getting tracked by anti terrorist police prior to the incident (which they usually are) how do you stop them?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Mi5, Mi6? Any other government intellignece agency?

Are poeple really expecting people on minimum wage and no training to identify terrorists? And then are they expected to tackle the terrorist themselves?

And what difference would it have really made? How do you stop a suicide bomber? Unless these sorts of incidents are getting tracked by anti terrorist police prior to the incident (which they usually are) how do you stop them?
    I suppose this a reply to RJK too.

Policing levels have been cut drastically over the last decade, there is no way you'll see large police presence at events anymore as they can't afford it. Large public gatherings are a terrorist target but many events are now police free.

It would have made no difference the terrorist was letting the bomb off anyway.

I'm not saying they shouldn't but the reality is police and agencies don't have the resource.