+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Highway Code changes.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Highway Code changes.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales View Post
    Why on earth would you object to cyclists keeping to one side to allow vehicles to pass more easily?

Is that not just deliberately antagonising people, creating more stress, conflict etc, ultimately discouraging cyclists in the long run?

Seems to me that if you can safely pull to one side it's the sensible, polite and reasonable thing to do.
    Because it doesn’t really allow motorists to pass them more easily it allows them to pass them more dangerously.

When over taking a bike or a horse you should give it a full car width. When they’re on one side of the lane it encourages people to over take on single carriage roads when there isn’t enough space.

You can always spot people who can’t not be biased in these situations because they constantly turn it into us vs them when what is actually needed is understanding from the other person’s point of view.

Re: Highway Code changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue View Post
    Because it doesn’t really allow motorists to pass them more easily it allows them to pass them more dangerously.

When over taking a bike or a horse you should give it a full car width. When they’re on one side of the lane it encourages people to over take on single carriage roads when there isn’t enough space.

You can always spot people who can’t not be biased in these situations because they constantly turn it into us vs them when what is actually needed is understanding from the other person’s point of view.
    It depends entirely on the road, the widths of which vary, there may be parked cars, the other lane may be quiet or busy.

It does seem that much of the chat in this thread is based on a misinterpretation anyway, but I don't see what is gained by keeping in the middle of the lane when the left hand side of it is safe. I think, in practice, it will make cyclists more in danger as it will enrage drivers who may be late etc. And yes, maybe they shouldnt be enraged, but this is a Real Politik situation.

And I am a cyclist and a driver. In fact, driving comes below the train and walking for me, so I'm not remotely a petrol head, I just dont see the benefit in winding people up.