• No

50 87.72%
  • Leo Fortune West

3 5.26%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: BLM - Will you boo ?

Re: BLM - Will you boo ?

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...acists-victory

Yes, taking the knee - much like refusing to give up a seat on a bus – is a political act. But it’s an act that any fair-minded individual should support and empathise with. And this week the acts of those in positions of power, from football club owners to government ministers, have set back the cause of race equality.

I agree - good opinion piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback View Post
    I mix with a lot of working class Mancunians, the likes of which dislike Thatcher, Cameron and Boris. They're your white working class. none of them shed a tear over the empire - in fact most of them if not all are glad its gone. That's my own experience, its anecdotal and I'm not suggesting it a fait accompli. But I just don't think the majority of British, certainly below a certain age, would consider themselves superior to anyone else. Well that's what I thought until the Brexit farce.

Do we need to do more to make society more equal - yes of course. Is the correct way to achieve that through mob action - I don't think it is.

IMHO there is a better way, I've already alluded to it. Its about educating our children first and foremost and secondly engaging with the racists to understand their point of view - as only then can you break down their arguments and rationale.
    I'm talking about the working class UKIP voters, the ones who have probably seen their industries decemated along with their communities, and are now engaging in reactionary politics. The ironic thing is that the working classes have probably done more for multi -culturalism than anyone else, the poor have always been more accepting and understanding, even when they've probably had more to lose than anyone else. We've had mixed communities for a couple of centuries, yes there were problems, but those problems ramped up when industries were attacked due to privatisation and a sustained attack on workers having an element of power. ( i don't expect you to agree with that though.

well since slavery has always been endemic throughout every society and civilisation, then its clearly an issue for mankind.
    Right. So when you said society, you actually meant mankind. Keep up at the back.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    I'm talking about the working class UKIP voters, the ones who have probably seen their industries decemated along with their communities, and are now engaging in reactionary politics. The ironic thing is that the working classes have probably done more for multi -culturalism than anyone else, the poor have always been more accepting and understanding, even when they've probably had more to lose than anyone else. We've had mixed communities for a couple of centuries, yes there were problems, but those problems ramped up when industries were attacked due to privatisation and a sustained attack on workers having an element of power. ( i don't expect you to agree with that though.
    To be honest I dont really disagree. I've got no issue with people sticking together- I referenced the workers of Manchester boycotting Southern cotton during the American civil war, at great cost to themselves but for a most noble cause.

I dont understand UKIP voters, but they were ignored for so long a referendum change the direction of the UK, and not a direction I ever wanted us to take.

I do, its why I ask so many questions and speak to quite a few people on this and many other topics. I can't experience what they have until I've walked a mile in their shoes. I'm well aware their own experiences may be different from my own. That does not mean we have to pander to every individual who dislikes one thing or another.

Queen Victoria - she used heroin and cocaine quite openly. You could speak to many family members who've had their own lives ruined (and not their ancestors lives) by heroin and cocaine yet here we are, we still have statues of Queen Victoria and no one is calling for them to be pulled down. Why is that? after all, such families have been impacted directly by drugs and yet as a society we glorify Queen Vic like no other monarch.

I'm pretty sure you'll say its different but it isn't really (e.g. the Opium wars)
    Colston isn't as historically notable, by a long way. This all depends on your view of what a statue like this is for, comparing it to a relic or crowd-drawing attraction is deliberately missing the point I think. A statue like this, in my opinion, only exists to commemorate somebody that, by and large, the community want to present as being a good influence on their society. Maybe at one time the people of Bristol felt that the positive things Colston did outweighed the negative, I doubt that is the case now though.

Having said that, I think it is probably right that this has been followed up by the CPS because we don't want everyone tearing statues down whenever they have some kind of grievance. However, the foaming at the mouth and hand wringing at the time of the protests from those that would love to pretend racism doesn't exist and that Britain has never been complicit in anything morally dubious was as predictable as it was laughable.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Right. So when you said society, you actually meant mankind. Keep up at the back.
    The two are used interchangeably since we've only really had slavery since mankind has developed a society to live in

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Colston isn't as historically notable, by a long way. This all depends on your view of what a statue like this is for, comparing it to a relic or crowd-drawing attraction is deliberately missing the point I think. A statue like this, in my opinion, only exists to commemorate somebody that, by and large, the community want to present as being a good influence on their society. Maybe at one time the people of Bristol felt that the positive things Colston did outweighed the negative, I doubt that is the case now though.
    Some good points there, do we only pull down statues of those deemed to have made only a slight imprint on history but allow those with much bigger historical footprints to stay?

What about Cecil Rhodes, who let's face it, is about as repugnant an individual as can be, yet he had a massive influence on the British empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    Having said that, I think it is probably right that this has been followed up by the CPS because we don't want everyone tearing statues down whenever they have some kind of grievance. However, the foaming at the mouth and hand wringing at the time of the protests from those that would love to pretend racism doesn't exist and that Britain has never been complicit in anything morally dubious was as predictable as it was laughable.
    I think most moderates won't shed a tear the statue was pulled down, but may disagree about the manner in which it was removed.

The two are used interchangeably.....
    By you, perhaps.

What about Cecil Rhodes, who let's face it, is about as repugnant an individual as can be, yet he had a massive influence on the British empire.
    There is the Rhodes Must Fall campaign in Oxford University. That, along with so many decolonise movements, have been happening for years

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by adz-a32 View Post
    There is the Rhodes Must Fall campaign in Oxford University. That, along with so many decolonise movements, have been happening for years
    I'm aware of that. I think going about requesting change through democratic means makes the cause much more justified

Feedback

By you, perhaps.
    Well yes. Whats your point.

Quote Originally Posted by delmbox View Post
    Don't be so dramatic, unless it's designed to look exactly like Colston himself then a name change should suffice in that case
    Ffs lighten up Delm your so fecking serious.

Well yes. Whats your point.
    You were wrong. But it's no biggie.

Feedback

You were wrong. But it's no biggie.
    I dont think I was, but whatever keeps you happy and entertained is fine by me.

Good man.

**** me are you still trying to defend taking down a statue of someone linked to the slave trade? Give it up and put your efforts into something productive.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by UNDERHILL1927 View Post
    **** me are you still trying to defend taking down a statue of someone linked to the slave trade? Give it up and put your efforts into something productive.
    You're a bit wide of the mark with that synopsis.

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    Ffs lighten up Delm your so fecking serious.
    you're*

you're*
    😂 **** me grammer cop now. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
    �� **** me grammer cop now. ��
    *gramma...oh forget it it's too easy

Feedback

*gramma...oh forget it [comma needed here to separate the clauses] it's too easy
    FYP

International

Bad delmbox!!!!!

Well, that was like shelling peas

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    Well, that was like shelling peas
    Is that something they did during Operation Market Garden? If so, can't see how it would have caused much damage to the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Is that something they did during Operation Market Garden? If so, can't see how it would have caused much damage to the enemy.
    I thinks it’s a Sean Connery quote