+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: John Bercow defects to Labour.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    International

Re: John Bercow defects to Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    So apart from the fact that Labour and Conservatives don't take turns at being speaker, the voting records on electing a Speaker are unproven, that his seat was regularly contested by other parties whilst he was Speaker and he is not a Labour MP I couldn't agree more!
    Traditionally no one stands against the speaker in elections.

From Wikipedia:
    On the resignation of Michael Martin in June 2009, Bercow stood successfully in the election to replace him as Speaker. As Speaker, he was obliged to leave the Conservative Party and remain as an independent for the duration of his tenure. He was re-elected unopposed at the commencements of the Parliaments in 2010, 2015 and 2017.[5] This made him the first Speaker since the Second World War to have been elected four times, as well as the first since then to have served alongside four Prime Ministers.[6][7] In September 2019, Bercow declared that he would stand down as Commons Speaker and MP on 31 October; he remained Speaker until being appointed to the Manor of Northstead on 4 November 2019.[8] Having served 10 years as Speaker, Bercow became the longest-serving Speaker since Edward FitzRoy."

From the Parliament website:
    Speakers and general elections

Speakers still stand in general elections. They are generally unopposed by the major political parties, who will not field a candidate in the Speaker's constituency. During a general election, Speakers do not campaign on any political issues but simply stand as 'the Speaker seeking re-election'.

Will that do?

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    Traditionally no one stands against the speaker in elections.

From Wikipedia:
    On the resignation of Michael Martin in June 2009, Bercow stood successfully in the election to replace him as Speaker. As Speaker, he was obliged to leave the Conservative Party and remain as an independent for the duration of his tenure. He was re-elected unopposed at the commencements of the Parliaments in 2010, 2015 and 2017.[5] This made him the first Speaker since the Second World War to have been elected four times, as well as the first since then to have served alongside four Prime Ministers.[6][7] In September 2019, Bercow declared that he would stand down as Commons Speaker and MP on 31 October; he remained Speaker until being appointed to the Manor of Northstead on 4 November 2019.[8] Having served 10 years as Speaker, Bercow became the longest-serving Speaker since Edward FitzRoy."

From the Parliament website:
    Speakers and general elections

Speakers still stand in general elections. They are generally unopposed by the major political parties, who will not field a candidate in the Speaker's constituency. During a general election, Speakers do not campaign on any political issues but simply stand as 'the Speaker seeking re-election'.

Will that do?
    There was I trying really hard not to take your posts seriously by having a little joke and yet you've gone all earnest on me. You couldn't colour code them so if someone wishes to respond they can strike the right tone could you?

International

Quote Originally Posted by cyril evans awaydays View Post
    There was I trying really hard not to take your posts seriously by having a little joke and yet you've gone all earnest on me. You couldn't colour code them so if someone wishes to respond they can strike the right tone could you?
    That's a plan. I never thought of that. What coloured do you think? Red for serious, blue for humour (alleged humour and black for normal? Or would you suggest something else.
    But I'm not having beige or au de nil or any of that. That's right out.

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    That's a plan. I never thought of that. What coloured do you think? Red for serious, blue for humour (alleged humour and black for normal? Or would you suggest something else.
    But I'm not having beige or au de nil or any of that. That's right out.
    Red for provocative, Green for humour, can't be having blue in these post-Manning days. Suggest white if you have a snowflakey moment!