Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick View Post
I started clean Keto in February. Basic Rules are: net carbs capped at 20g a day; minimum 120g protein a day; and I consume fat to fill in according to appetite. Plus a lot of water. Alcohol is fine as long as it’s not before food, and the rules above effectively limit it to white wine and clear spirits. I did an entire stag do on vodka soda. There is a lot more to it than that as I’m doing it clean, but honestly it’s simple enough. For one weekend a month I bump carbs back up to 50g a day just because it sort of freaks me out going without some stuff. I did MyFitnessPal for 6-8 weeks but got a feel for it and I have no need to track macros or calories now, I have a good feel for where I am at during the day.

Hands down, it has been the easiest most pleasant way to improve my health ever. I had back surgery about 6 months ago so exercise is still largely forbidden but I lost 20kg in about 3 months (93kg to 73kg- so a big swing as a percentage) and it has stayed off, with limited impact on body muscle and BMR. Plus I feel invincible and am so much more productive. And I’ve not even been given the ok to exercise properly yet!

I expect to put on water weight if I ever relax back up to standard low carb but the fat loss is permanent and it won’t reverse- I went from 25%+ body fat to 19%, and this is without any exercise- I wasn’t even allowed to do press ups for most of the time.

Obviously different things suit different people but I’ve found it a doddle, and I say that as someone who didn’t eat salads, cauliflower, avocado or any of the other staples of the diet before. It’s changed me for the better and it truly is a lifestyle thing not a short term thing. We had a second child and built a side extension during this too, all while lockdown was happening so if a lifestyle is manageable under those circumstances it’s clearly something that is sustainable long term. In fact keto helped me get through lockdown, my mental state and my focus was so much healthier because of it.
Reminder to self to PM later.