Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
Another point Bob, is that the medics cry out about how many people are testing positive but they are testing far far more people now than they were before and the numbers aren't as high. Even the people who do the analysis of the numbers accept that if you test more people it's inevitable that you will capture more positive results, but the vast number today are mild infection that require no hospitalisation, and those that do tend not to require invasive oxygen or intensive care. A vastly different scenario to last June or December
I’ve clearly been on the cautious side in debates on here about lockdowns and Covid, but I agree that we appear to be in a different situation now than we were late last year and earlier this year. I’m no expert, but every October I have a flu jab which we’re told offers around 60 per cent protection. Flu can kill 20,000 a year in the UK I understand and, obviously, I’m classed as being in the at risk group, but I don’t give flu another thought once I’ve had my jab.

Compare that to Covid where we’re told there is ninety per cent plus protection from hospitalisation and/or death after two jabs. At sixty five and overweight, I have risk factors for the disease, but I’m happy to take the risk knowing that I could be one of those who is unlucky. As for protecting others, I think I’ll continue to wear a mask in places like supermarkets even if it’s decided they are no longer needed.

If what I’ve put in the last two paragraphs is wrong and I’m missing something important, then I’d say the authorities are not explaining why I and others are wrong clearly enough. I accept that Covid has not gone away because of the vaccine and there are still risks involved, but the arguments for maintaining restrictions seem more vague now and those in Government in London or Cardiff are bound to face a tougher task in convincing a public that have observed the restrictions imposed conscientiously in the past that they have to do so again.
As someone who has been broadly supportive of Mark Drakeford and Welsh Labour in their handling of things, I’ve not heard a coherent argument yet as to why Wales has to have lower attendances at sporting events than in England where Covid rates have generally tended to be higher in recent months.

Back in spring 2020 there were a lot of people saying that getting rid of restrictions will be harder than going into them - I never really understood what they meant by that, but I have a better idea now having experienced what has happened since people starting getting their second jab.