Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
6 foot
16 stone
Fairly big build , doctor wants me to drop two stone if possible as my blood sugar is pre diabetic

So , diet wise I know what to avoid and what to eat etc

I am not going to be building any muscle mass at all at my age so heavy gym work is out ......thank feck as I hate the gym

I don't enjoy cycling and can't swim like I used to .....my ankle is reconstructed so no running , 5 a side

I thought plenty of walking , some pilates and yoga classes ?

Mixed in with some basic dumbells and home exercises ?

Anyone got any decent links , there's absolutely stacks out there and I don't know where to start
Nowt wrong with exercise, but diet will make a big dent in your excess.

When people say they normally want to lose weight they often really need to lose fat, but at 16 stone and 6 foot you can probably focus just on losing some weight in the early stages. Which is great, because that just means a calorie deficit and that is easy.

So phase 1: focus on calories. Just eat 200 less calories than you need. The amount you need will flex per exercise, but just stick to a basic healthy diet, drop the booze and any sugary drinks as much as possible, beer in particular. Make sure you get enough protein per day to support your existing muscle mass.

Phase 2: build on Phase 1 by focusing on macros. Fat is NOT your enemy, sugar is. Well, trans fats and crap fats are your enemy too, but there is nothing wrong with healthy fats (olive oil, fish etc). Try to get rid of sugar and other crap carbohydrate- bread, beer, pasta, rice, cereals etc. Try to drop snacking too, there is nothing wrong with having just 2 or 3 meals a day.

If you fancy it, I do think there is a legitimate Phase 3 which is massively reducing carbs and focusing on micronutrients to ensure you've got sufficient fibre and micronutrients from your remaining diet. Get it right and it is like living in cheat mode where your body slashes fat and you just feel far more present and alert. But from what I can tell from your posts over the years you'd be pretty sceptical of something that hardcore - keeping to under 20g of carbs a day is quite a challenge and you really do have to check the nutritional info of everything, even most fruits are verboten if you go for it.

There are loads of other little things that really do help along the way so you can fine tune it, but I'd see it as something where you are going to have to learn on the job, so to speak, and expect to refine and improve on your diet rather than expect to start Day 1 with the perfect diet. Good luck.

Source: did Phase 1 for month 1 and phase 2 for month 2 and went from 93kg to 80kg; did phase 3 (keto) for month 3 and 4 and got down to 73kg. I've generally stayed in phase 3 for the last 2 years and in that 2 years I've yet to go above 75kg. Muscle mass has remained largely unchanged throughout and body fat is down from around 25% to 18%.