Quote Originally Posted by MOZZER2 View Post
almost impossible to predict what his tax burden would be if he has been working using either a LTD company or sole trader for the reasons below

just a little about terminology he would personally not get 1.35 million from the BBC his company would . He would be a director of the company but also an employee of the company which means he can pay himself from the company

in terms of taxation 4 things

1 - He would pay himself a salary out of his company ( most free lancers pay themselves just under the threshold of paying any tax )
2 - Dividend tax - most freelancers take out dividends out of there business subject to taxation at certain levels
2 - He would pay corporation tax on his profit over the financial year .Was 19% think its going up to 25% this year
3 - He would pay VAT on anything over £85k but maybe more due to his turnover ( i would have to check that )

In terms of this most free lancers you can also claim on things like petrol and travel allowance , food allowance , accommodation , renting or leasing cars for his business , paying his phones , pension contributions , flat rate allowances etc and offset tax all out of his business

He also works for BT Sports so i guess he would be doing the same thing there and any other company he freelances for .Note taxation is different if he operates as a sole trader but i doubt he would be . But 1 thing for sure he would be paying less than 600K

As a rule of thumb in most industry's what ever an employee earns in 1 year a free lancer would earn in 6 months in the same company doing the same job and pay less tax before April 2021
Very interesting, thanks. I get the need for different tax regime for freelancers and being at the top of the game means the system suits him well.

It is a bit galling though, and presumably this is the kind of tax avoidance that people cite as needing to be clamped down upon when they want to see big increases in public spending etc.