+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Assisted dying

Re: Assisted dying

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Friday's Ghost View Post
    Everything you write has the implication that god exists. You don't really have much else to offer.
    The issue was about a scientific experiment that verified that prayer had some measure of impact on the patients who were prayed for. That may not be helpful for you, after deciding that God doesn't exist, but there it is.
    Yet having made a false allegation about my previous post, you've now switched subject to the existence of God!

If you'd like to make a case for Life and the Universe existing WITHOUT the need for an Almighty & Intelligent Being then go right ahead, you will be the first in history to do that...

.....but don't let that stop you.....

Quote Originally Posted by truthpaste View Post
    The issue was about a scientific experiment that verified that prayer had some measure of impact on the patients who were prayed for. That may not be helpful for you, after deciding that God doesn't exist, but there it is.
    Yet having made a false allegation about my previous post, you've now switched subject to the existence of God!

If you'd like to make a case for Life and the Universe existing WITHOUT the need for an Almighty & Intelligent Being then go right ahead, you will be the first in history to do that...

.....but don't let that stop you.....
    As I've said to you many times, I'm not making the case for anything, other than pointing out the faults in your continued posting of information which you seem to believe prove God exists. Which of course it doesn't. In this case, for example, you have quoted a study which shows that praying can have a positive effect on health. And, as is your habit, you then make the enormous and unproven leap to claim that it shows that God exists. It doesn't. It proves, that in some cases, praying has a positive effect on health.

As I've said to you many times, I'm not making the case for anything, other than pointing out the faults in your continued posting of information which you seem to believe prove God exists. Which of course it doesn't. In this case, for example, you have quoted a study which shows that praying can have a positive effect on health. And, as is your habit, you then make the enormous and unproven leap to claim that it shows that God exists. It doesn't. It proves, that in some cases, praying has a positive effect on health.
    Yes but in this case, unless I've got it wrong, it wasn't the people who were ill who did the praying?

Quote Originally Posted by Gofer Blue View Post
    Yes but in this case, unless I've got it wrong, it wasn't the people who were ill who did the praying?
    Correct. And the people praying for them didn't even know them, they were just given their names and their medical status.

As I've said to you many times, I'm not making the case for anything.....
    Yes you are! You are making the case that anyone who dares to even suggest there may be a divine being (that we are all accountable to - and this is the crux of the matter), is obviously poorly informed because you've decided there is no God; even though there is more than enough evidence to suggest otherwise (see Gofer's comments too above), you yourself don't have any proof of....

1. how humanity has come into existance

2. why we are all here and

3. what happens in the future.

Oh, dear. Yet another thread ends up as exchanges about 'God'.
    Is there any chance of a deity-feee zone on here, Mr Morris?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    As the majority of deaths in the UK are followed by a religious ceremony, then your request does seem appear in a peculiar thread?

Some people argue that deep relaxation exercises HELP in dealing with Cancer treatment

There's evidence it might compliment medical treatment but that's about it

However there's absolutely no evidence at all that praying to God does anything at all

My mother's Catholic friends and her priest told me she was getting prayers said for her at mass but in the last 2 years of her life she battled with dementia , heart failure , chronic urine infections , a broken hip after a fall , delirium, diarrhoea and anxiety

Either the prayers didn't work , God wasn't listening or they were not praying in the first place

She really suffered but other people in life suffered more than her and will continue to suffer and will be prayed for but none of these prayers will help because the person tgey are directed to doesn't exist

It's a complete waste of time borne out of silly blind faith and desperation

Most people who pray are decent and have good intentions but would be far better off raising money for research for heart disease , mental health , cancer , dementia etc than reciting the Lords prayer or asking God for help

As the majority of deaths in the UK are followed by a religious ceremony, then your request does seem appear in a peculiar thread?
    It's 2024 , time to move on

You could understand it in poverty striken countries where desperation ensures the God illusion still exists

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Some people argue that deep relaxation exercises HELP in dealing with Cancer treatment

There's evidence it might compliment medical treatment but that's about it

However there's absolutely no evidence at all that praying to God does anything at all

My mother's Catholic friends and her priest told me she was getting prayers said for her at mass but in the last 2 years of her life she battled with dementia , heart failure , chronic urine infections , a broken hip after a fall , delirium, diarrhoea and anxiety

Either the prayers didn't work , God wasn't listening or they were not praying in the first place

She really suffered but other people in life suffered more than her and will continue to suffer and will be prayed for but none of these prayers will help because the person tgey are directed to doesn't exist

It's a complete waste of time borne out of silly blind faith and desperation

Most people who pray are decent and have good intentions but would be far better off raising money for research for heart disease , mental health , cancer , dementia etc than reciting the Lords prayer or asking God for help
    Can you and truthpaste keep to the existing threads about the tiresome God crap? Even one on Hitler ends up down the same black hole.
    It kills every debate stone dead.

Yes you are! You are making the case that anyone who dares to even suggest there may be a divine being (that we are all accountable to - and this is the crux of the matter), is obviously poorly informed because you've decided there is no God; even though there is more than enough evidence to suggest otherwise (see Gofer's comments too above), you yourself don't have any proof of....

1. how humanity has come into existance

2. why we are all here and

3. what happens in the future.
    No I'm not. I have picked holes in the arguments you use to "prove" that he does exist. That's very different to me setting out to prove he/she doesn't.

Can you and truthpaste keep to the existing threads about the tiresome God crap? Even one on Hitler ends up down the same black hole.
    It kills every debate stone dead.
    Sorry

I have gone down a rabbit hole

What's this thread about ?

The problem with these pesky Christians is that Christianity is not just a philosophy for them, it's a way of life. Hence you should not be surprised if they express opinions on matters relating to the human condition, such as assisted dying and, yes, Hitler, who for most people is the epitome of evil.

If you recall you invited me to give my thoughts on assisted dying (see #13) which I did, and then followed that with a provocative post (see #18) which I'm pretty sure you knew full well I would respond to, despite the tongue-in-cheek “however let's move on” final sentence!

Like you, this thread which you started is of great personal interest to me and I would be disappointed to see it disappear because I would like to read other people's opinions on this important subject.

Finally, I feel your appeal to Mike Morris smacks a little of the “cancel culture” which is becoming prevalent in our society. My posts are usually polite, never include foul language (unless quoting another post which contains it), hopefully non-judgemental and respectful of other people's opinions, unlike some of the characters on the forum!

P.S. If MM tries to impose a fee to use a deity zone then I'm outta here

The problem with these pesky Christians is that Christianity is not just a philosophy for them, it's a way of life. Hence you should not be surprised if they express opinions on matters relating to the human condition, such as assisted dying and, yes, Hitler, who for most people is the epitome of evil.

If you recall you invited me to give my thoughts on assisted dying (see #13) which I did, and then followed that with a provocative post (see #18) which I'm pretty sure you knew full well I would respond to, despite the tongue-in-cheek “however let's move on” final sentence!

Like you, this thread which you started is of great personal interest to me and I would be disappointed to see it disappear because I would like to read other people's opinions on this important subject.

Finally, I feel your appeal to Mike Morris smacks a little of the “cancel culture” which is becoming prevalent in our society. My posts are usually polite, never include foul language (unless quoting another post which contains it), hopefully non-judgemental and respectful of other people's opinions, unlike some of the characters on the forum!

P.S. If MM tries to impose a fee to use a deity zone then I'm outta here
    Your reply on the thread was actually very interesting and unlike truthpaste's predictable and tiresome tosh.

As for the notion of 'cancel culture', I think the existing God threads are enough to go on with.

Your reply on the thread was actually very interesting and unlike truthpaste's predictable and tiresome tosh.

As for the notion of 'cancel culture', I think the existing God threads are enough to go on with.
    Thank you - yes a very sensitive subject. I wrote to my M.P. to find out his stance on this and he told me that when it comes up for full debate in the House he will not back any bill because of his Christian belief - interesting!

I don't suppose TP needs me to defend him! Becoming a Christian does not necessarily change a person's personality. I am naturally a rather shy, introverted person but as I have got older I have become much more self confident and able to put over my case in a discussion. Since becoming a Christian I have become much less judgemental and self-centred and much more caring and empathetic with folk. I don't know TP personally but I suspect he was always a much more outgoing person with an assertive manner about him, so he witnesses his faith to others in the same way! Christianity is a broad church.

Re: cancel culture. As I said, it is inevitable that as Christians, TP and I will take a Christ-centred attitude to any topic that has to do with the human condition. As Peter said to the Pharisees who tried to silence him spreading the news of the resurrection of Jesus (Acts 4:20): As for us we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard!

Thank you - yes a very sensitive subject. I wrote to my M.P. to find out his stance on this and he told me that when it comes up for full debate in the House he will not back any bill because of his Christian belief - interesting!

I don't suppose TP needs me to defend him! Becoming a Christian does not necessarily change a person's personality. I am naturally a rather shy, introverted person but as I have got older I have become much more self confident and able to put over my case in a discussion. Since becoming a Christian I have become much less judgemental and self-centred and much more caring and empathetic with folk. I don't know TP personally but I suspect he was always a much more outgoing person with an assertive manner about him, so he witnesses his faith to others in the same way! Christianity is a broad church.

Re: cancel culture. As I said, it is inevitable that as Christians, TP and I will take a Christ-centred attitude to any topic that has to do with the human condition. As Peter said to the Pharisees who tried to silence him spreading the news of the resurrection of Jesus (Acts 4:20): As for us we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard!
    I think there have been enough Bible quotes on here by the two of you but I'll simply give up as they shut down open discussion by the rest of us.

Should your MP who is supposed to be representing all his constituents be voting against dignity in dying based on his belief in God?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY View Post
    Should your MP who is supposed to be representing all his constituents be voting against dignity in dying based on his belief in God?
    As I understand it, it will be a free vote (if ever it gets that far), so each M.P. will be free to vote according to his/her own conscience. I respect his opinion although I disagree with it and I have told him so. Maybe once he has heard the debate he may change his mind of course as other Christians are also taking my position.

I think there have been enough Bible quotes on here by the two of you but I'll simply give up as they shut down open discussion by the rest of us.
    A lot, but they are always in context; and fyi there are way more anti-god comments (as you might expect in 2024, so just an observation) which Christian's may challenge but never complain about.